READERS

5 Jun 2012

Q&A session at professional development course for therapists.


I attended and completed my Q&A session at a course aimed at therapists. Subject matter: BDSM.


The idea to offer myself for questioning with regards BDSM came after my sister (who is a fantastic Counsellor) realised during her new professional development course, that when it came to Kink, therapists are more vanilla than anticipated.


The course was designed to update / inform therapists on BDSM. Problem was, they didn't really have a clue. So, she suggested they involve someone who actually knew the subject matter, first hand, rather than from text. The ruby red faces, awkward silence and shocked expressions presented to her when she suggested it, was enough to persuade me that this was going to be great.


So, on a hot Wednesday, armed with my knowledge, I took the train to Paddington. I wore a sexy but conservative black work dress - going dressed in latex was probably not even going to get me on the train.


Arrive at my destination. First impressions of the therapists: vanilla, vanilla, middle class, (mostly) women who really don't need to work. I couldn't wait to burst a few fluffy clouds.


"Respect my authoriteee...."
Sat in a hot room surrounded by silence. More silence. Finally, I was introduced. Silence. Then the first question:


"What is Kink?"
Then the next question:


"What about S&M?" and "Is BDSM all about role play?"


.......Several ten minute chunks later.....


"What's the worst thing you have ever been asked to do?" "How do you deal with what you do?"
I realised then, they weren't getting it.


BDSM RELATED ISSUES What is this new 'IT Phrase' they are using? What does it mean to those of us who enjoy a healthy, normal, active enjoyment of BDSM? We have issues? That we cannot be normal in psychological terms if we are like BDSM? Issues arise within our Psyche which relate directly to our involvement in BDSM. I'm not sure?


KINK FRIENDLY COUNSELLING My next newly discovered phrase. Counsellors have realised there is money to be made. But be aware, they are no more educated in it than a afternoon session with a practising dominatrix. Will they / do they really understand?




No comments:

Practice makes perfect

Resulting form the lack of effectiveness in work while wearing shackles, I did promise Mistress to practice more at home when I have time an...